Staying well this winter
This year it's more important than ever to try and stay healthy and well over the winter months. With Coronavirus added to the usual cold weather illnesses like colds, flu and other more serious health problems, we all have to play our part to look after ourselves and others. Here are some ideas to help keep you well this winter…
- wrap up warm and heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F)
- if you are entitled, make sure you get your flu jab. It’s important that eligible people are vaccinated to protect them from flu. If you have a health condition like diabetes, heart, kidney, or liver disease, flu can be serious for you. Don't put it off - it's free because you need it.
- your pharmacist can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains. Do not go to a pharmacy if you have symptoms of coronavirus, or you live with someone who has symptoms. Remember, you can get your medicines delivered or ask someone to collect them.
Helping stop the spread of Coronavirus
- Wash your hand regularly for at least 20 seconds
- Keep a safe distance from others
- Wear a face covering in enclosed spaces if you can
- Reduce the number of people you have contact with
- Self isolate when you need too
Coronavirus symptoms include: a high temperature; a new, continuous cough; a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.
We have testing centres at locations around Sheffield - please book an appointment at NHS.UK or call 119. If you have Coronavirus symptoms, you need to get a test done within the first 5 days of having symptoms, self-isolate at home and only leave home to get a test.
Find our latest information on Coronavirus