You need a certificate from us to operate a public weighbridge. It is a criminal offence to operate a public weighbridge without a certificate of competence.
Before applying you should read this information on weighbridge operator certificates.
Who can apply for a certificate
You should have undergone relevant training and have sufficient knowledge to pass a written or verbal examination and demonstrate practical competence to an inspector.
A public weighbridge operator certificate costs:
- £89 (inc. VAT) for the exam
- £45.40 for the certificate
What you need to provide with your application
You will need to provide your details and details of the public equipment to be operated. We will only issue a certificate in relation to specified equipment. Should the equipment be replaced or changed you need to apply for a new certificate.
What happens once you have made an application
We will normally contact with you within 5 working days to discuss your application and to arrange a suitable test date.
Applicants will be required to have a working knowledge of S20 of the Weights and Measures Act 1985 and be able to demonstrate they can:
- operate the weighbridge satisfactorily
- complete any weighbridge tickets and associated documentation satisfactorily
- understand basic terms associated with the operation of a weighbridge
- understand the duties of a weighbridge operator
- understand potential frauds associated with weighing operations
- understand how the accuracy of the weighbridge might be affected
- perform simple calculations (use of a calculator is permitted)
Tacit consent will not apply
It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. You should contact us if you have not heard from us within 5 working days.
Apply for a weighbridge operator's licence
You can apply online through GOV.UK.
How to make an appeal or a complaint
Appeals against the decision of a chief inspector not to issue a certificate can be made to the Secretary of State
If you want to make a complaint please contact Sheffield Trading Standards, 5th Floor North, Howden House, Sheffield, S1 2SH.