A pavement cafe licence is required to place objects upon the highway under Section 115E of the 1980 Highways Act (Miscellaneous Provisions).

Therefore, where a business wishes to put tables and chairs outside their premises for the purposes of providing an outside seating area for customers, the above consent is required and a licence must be applied for.

It is the responsibility of the licensee to obtain all other consents required, including Planning Permission, in connection with the proposed extension of their business onto the highway and, where appropriate, any amendment to their existing premises licence.

Eligibility Criteria

To apply for a pavement licence, you will be required to submit the following documentation:

  • Planning consent (if applicable)
  • Location and site layout plan
  • Furniture appearance
  • Public Liability Insurance of at least £2million
  • Risk assessment
  • Written consent of adjacent land owner
  • Premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003 (if applicable)

The cost for a pavement café licence is £115 for a 12 month licence.

Application Evaluation Process

A public notice detailing the proposal and deadline for representations will be published at a position at or near where the proposal relates.

The notice shall specify a period of 28 days during which representations regarding the proposal can be made.

Within this period, we will consult with any other relevant authorities and take into account any representations.

How we will notify you / timescales

If there are no representations to the proposal, we will endeavour to process your application within 14 days after the last date for representations.

It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Appeals, complaints and feedback

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you first make contact with us, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, you can get advice from gov.uk.

We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area. For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states from the European Commission.

Licensing Team

Ask us a question

01142734264 Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD