If you're unable to take your bin to the kerb because of a disability or ill health, you can ask for help. This is called the Assisted Collection Service.

The refuse collectors will wheel your bin out to the road for collection and then return it after it has been emptied. You can apply for permanent or temporary assisted collection. 

You can only apply if there's nobody over the age of 16 at your residence who can bring your bins to the curb.

Permanent assisted collection

If you're 75 or over you can apply for a permanent assisted collection if any of these apply to you:

  • you're registered blind or partially sighted
  • you hold a blue badge for parking
  • you receive the middle rate of care component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • you receive the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment
  • you receive Attendance Allowance
  • you receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • you hold a CredAble Access Scheme Card

To apply you'll need proof of age such as a copy of a birth certificate, passport, bus pass, NHS medical Card, Older Persons’ Freedom Pass or driver’s license.

Temporary assisted collection

You can apply for a temporary assisted collection for up to 6 months, which can be renewed after 6 months if needed. This may be due to pregnancy, illness, or recovery from an operation or injury.

If you're applying for assistance during pregnancy, you can receive assisted bin collection throughout your pregnancy and up to 26 weeks afterwards. 

You'll need to provide evidence that you're unable to take your bins out, for example, you may need to provide a confirmation letter that shows you're receiving state benefits due to illness or injury.

An officer may need to visit you to assess and approve your application.

Contact Waste Management Service

5th Floor (North)
Howden House
1 Union Street

S1 2SH