The Local Assistance Scheme (LAS) provides Sheffield Independence Grants, to support independent living, and Sheffield Crisis Grants, to help Sheffield residents in crisis situations who aren't receiving help.

Who can apply

This scheme is only available to Sheffield residents who:

  • have insufficient income to meet their needs
  • are aged 16 years old or over

We may ask you to provide proof of any benefits received and/or bank statements for the last 3 months in order for us to consider your application.  These can be provided in person, by post or via email. If you are asked to provide proof of benefits or bank statements and you do not provide these within the processing time-scale of your application, it will be rejected. 

Further details are available in the Local Assistance Scheme Guidance document.  

Sheffield Independence Grants

These are intended to support independent living in the community and don't have to be repaid. They can be used to help people establish themselves in the community or to remain there.

A Sheffield Independence Grant may, for example, be used to help people setting up home following a period in institutional care, avoid the need to go into care or cope with exceptionally difficult family circumstances. They may also provide help with deposits or rents. They can be awarded to help with the cost of essential household items and services (including travel costs in particular circumstances).

Sheffield Crisis Grants

Crisis grants don't have to be repaid. They're intended to help people who don't have enough money to meet their short term needs arising from a crisis following an emergency or disaster. They're used to prevent serious risk to the health and safety of an individual or their family.

Contact Local Assistance Scheme Service