Special schools are designated where:
- All the pupils have Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- All staff have specialist knowledge and expertise
- Classes are small
- Specialist equipment is available
Some of these schools have help for children from nursery age. Increasingly these schools develop links with mainstream schools.
If your child attends a special school they:
- Will have a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN).
- May travel to school by special bus or taxi provided by us.
- Will be educated in a school where all children have Special Educational Needs.
- May visit a mainstream school for some lessons.
- May have speech therapy, physiotherapy or nursing help provided in school if this is agreed by the Health Authority
- Learning difficulties
- Severe and multiple learning difficulties
- Physical difficulties
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Communication difficulties
Download The Stepping Stones to Transition booklet for more information about specialist help in Sheffield.
Parents guide – Stepping Stones to Transition