Skip to content

Students and Council Tax

If you are a student and don’t live in a University hall of residence call us and we’ll check if you’re exempt from paying Council Tax or eligible for a discount.

Check who pays in student properties.

Apply for a discount or exemption (you must include a Student Certificate for each student in the property. You can get these from your University website.).


Send your student certificates to us

When you send us the certificates, ensure that the document is fully opened so it shows:

  • official University logo

  • your unique Student ID Number/ SHU Code

  • current issue date

  • signature from the Certification Officer of the University. 

We cannot accept a letter confirming enrolment on a course at the University.


Register to vote

Register to vote.


Parking permits

Parking permits.


Accommodation and advice

If you are a student looking for accommodation and advice:

Sheffield University accommodation and students union housing advice

Hallam University accommodation and union housing advice



Landlords that own properties, let only to students, are required to claim an exemption from Council Tax.

Complete the annual student property review for us to allow your exemption.

  • Modified: Sep 6, 2016 3:35:49 PM