Skip to content

Council Tax: Moving home (changing address)

Moving home can be exciting, but it can also be a stressful time. There are a lot of things to think about and plan for.

If you move house we may need to transfer your Council Tax account from your old address to your new one.

Please contact each department you deal with separately to tell them about your change of address.


What we need to know

In all cases we will need to know the following information:

  • Your name and the name(s) of your spouse or partner

  • The address that you are moving from and the Council Tax account number (if you were responsible for paying Council Tax at that address)

  • The date you moved out

  • The date of sale of your old home (if you were the owner) or the end date of your lease/tenancy (if you were a tenant)

  • Your new address

  • The date you moved in

  • The date of purchase (if you own your new home) or start date of your lease/tenancy (if you are the tenant)


Bought or sold your home

If you were the owner of your old home and/or bought your new one, please tell us:

  • The name of the person who bought your old home and (if you know it) their old address

  • Your solicitors name and address



If you rented your old home or are renting your new one, please tell us:

  • The name of your landlord (and address if you know it)

  • If the property you rented (or now rent) is furnished by your landlord



Your new home may have been extended or altered by the previous occupier.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) are allowed to increase the band of a property only after it is sold.


Tell us your new address

You have to tell our Elections Office that you have moved.

Council Tax offices in neighbouring councils

  • Modified: Nov 4, 2016 3:47:32 PM