You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, or to ask on behalf of someone else.  You will need to provide identification to prove who you are and that you have the right to access the information.

Identification required to process your request

We ask for 2 forms of identification:

  • one with your name and date of birth
  • one with your name and current address (dated within the last 3 months)

Asking for information about a child

If you are asking for information about a child we also ask for proof of parental responsibility eg birth certificate of child or adoption certificate.

Asking for information about a third party

If you are the personal representative acting on behalf of someone we also ask for written evidence that you are authorised to act on the data subject's behalf eg signed consent, power of attorney.

There is no automatic right of access to the personal data of third parties and your request may still be refused.

Asking for CCTV or body worn camera footage

You will need to provide the following identification documents when requesting information from CCTV or body worn camera footage:

  • for footage of a person - photographic ID or name and date of birth ID, together with a recent photograph of yourself
  • for footage of a vehicle - vehicle log book (DVLA V5C form) if you are the vehicle owner, or Vehicle Log Book and written consent from the vehicle owner

Please send copies of the original documents to Failure to provide suitable identification or proof is likely to delay the request.  

Responding to your request

Once we have received your request, and satisfactory identification, you should expect to receive a response to your request within 1 month.  In some circumstances where a request is complex, we may extend this to a maximum of 3 months.  Where this is the case, we will inform you of this.

Contact Subject Access Service

Resources – Business Support
Sheffield City Council
PO Box 1283

S1 1UJ