A Short Break Grant is a one-off payment, up to a maximum of £400 per family, which can be used to arrange activities for your child's short break. If your child is disabled you may be able to apply for this grant.
Short Break Grant 2019/20
Short Break Grant applications will open on Tuesday 27 August 2019. The new 2019/20 application form and guidance notes will be available from this date.
Application forms from previous years will not be accepted.
Start your Household Income Assessment
Before you apply for a Short Break Grant you will need to take a Household Income Assessment. You can begin this now by calling 0114 273 4567 and choosing option 4.
Taking the income assessment now means you'll be ready to apply for a grant when the grant applications open.
Who can apply
You can apply if you are the parent or carer of a child with a diagnosed disability and:
- they are under 18 years old
- you are on means-tested benefits or your Household income is less than £21,000 per year
- your child or young person receives High Rate Disability Living Allowance in either care or mobility components (0 to 16 years)
- your child or young person receives Enhanced Rate Personal Independence Payment for either daily living or mobility components (16 to 18 years)
- you do not already receive another short break or respite service or a Direct Payment for that individual child (or you can agree to stop using the other service if you want to use this one)
Or you can apply if a relevant professional who knows your child and your family completes and signs an ‘Impact Information Form’ which explains your child’s disability and how this impacts on your whole family.
Who can't apply
You are not eligible to apply for this grant if you already receive:
- SNIPS activity
- direct payment
- befriending through SNIPS
- overnight respite
However, you can choose to change to a Short Break Grant from your current service.
You need to think very carefully about this and discuss it with your social worker or a member of the SNIPS team. Remember that the Short Break Grant is a single payment per year. Most other short break services provide for your family all year round.
How to apply
1. First you need to complete the Household Income Assessment. To do this call 0114 273 4567 and press option 4. You cannot continue with your application until you have a letter confirming you have completed the income assessment
2. Gather information to support your application. You will need one of these:
- evidence of High Rate Disability Living Allowance in either care or mobility components (0 to 16 years) for your child
- evidence of Enhanced Rate Personal Independence Payment for either the daily living or mobility components (16 to 18 years) for your child
- or arrange for the ‘Impact Information Form’ to be completed by a relevant professional who knows your child and your family. This should be completed and explains your child’s disability and how this impacts on your whole family
3. Complete the new 2019/20 application form from 27 August 2019 and submit it along with the required evidence
4. Complete the Submission Checklist
5. Submit all of the required information on the checklist. Incomplete applications cannot be processed
You must apply using this year's application form. Applications on old forms will not be accepted.
Special Needs Inclusion Play Service (SNIPS)
The introduction of parents contributing towards their SNIPS Club where families have a household income over £21,000 will be introduced later in the year. We will provide more information soon.