When you contact us, we’ll talk to you about what you’re able to do, and how you can be best supported to remain active and independent, safe and well.

We’ll give you information and advice about organisations that may be able to help you, and identify if you need some short term support to help regain your independence.

If we think you need some longer term support, we’ll arrange for a social care worker to visit you at home to discuss what you can do, and where you may need some help or support.

Your involvement

We’ll make sure you’re able to take part fully in these conversations. If you have substantial difficulty in being involved (such as difficulty understanding or retaining information), and you have no family or friends who can help, we’ll arrange for an independent person (called an advocate) to help you so you can be fully involved.

What to prepare

Before we visit, think about:

  • what’s important to you, and what you can do for yourself
  • how your family, friends and local community support you
  • what’s difficult for you, and how you overcome any problems.

You may find it helpful to make some notes to help you remember questions you want to ask or concerns you want to discuss.

What we’ll talk about

When we visit you we will ask about the help you already get from family, friends or your local community, and where you need a bit more help or support. We will also record basic information about you and some information we need to ask you to meet statutory equality duties.

We will also carry out a financial assessment to work out how much you can afford to pay towards the cost of your care and support. From this we will decide if you are eligible to receive care and support. 


We use national rules to decide if you have any eligible care and support needs. This care and support ensures you are safe and that you are able to maintain your independence.

Prioritising your needs

Your social care worker will consider whether you can do things such as:

  • prepare and eat food and drinks without help
  • keep yourself or your clothes clean
  • manage your toilet needs
  • dress yourself properly
  • move around safely
  • keep your home clean and safe
  • keep in contact with other people
  • take part in activities like work, volunteering or learning
  • use local services, such as buses or shops
  • carry out any caring responsibilities you have

Your wellbeing

Your social worker will then decide how your care and support needs affect your wellbeing including:

  • relationships with family and friends
  • physical and mental health
  • keeping safe
  • having enough money
  • having a good place to live
  • being able to control your daily life

We don’t take into account any help provided by a carer at this stage. 

Adult Access Team

Ask us a question

0114 2734908

Howden House
1 Union Street

S1 2SH