We reviewed the Care Home Fees for 2016/17 and produced a report on our findings. The review focuses on:
- the care home market in Sheffield
- the cost of care in Sheffield
- care home providers in Sheffield
The report makes the following recommendations:
- that we recognise the financial pressures faced by care home providers as a result of the introduction of the National Living wage
- that fees in 2016/17 rise by 4.32% for residential care homes and by 4.80% for nursing homes
- that a joint working group is set up with NHS/CCG and providers to establish what improvements can be made to current procedures
Guidance for providers
Our Quality & Performance/Contracts Team works alongside the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to monitor care homes.
We link in closely with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), regularly sharing information about home performance. All of the aspects of our monitoring relate to the CQC’s 5 key questions: safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led. We have recently modified our monitoring tool to include extensive observations of practice in the delivery of care.
Like the CCG, we provide feedback and care homes are sent an action plan. Our role is to support homes to identify areas that need improvement and work with them to ensure that necessary changes are put in place. We also find areas of good practice in homes and share these more widely for learning across the sector.
The CCG work in partnership with us to manage homes that are in risk and provide additional support as required.
The Quality in Care Homes and Home Support team work in conjunction with us to ensure effective processes are in place to monitor that care homes are delivering good quality and safe services. Routine quality monitoring visits are carried out by the Team, using a quality framework agreed jointly with us which reflects the requirements of the Health and Social Care Act.
Following the visit Quality Officers provide feedback and the care home is sent written confirmation of the agreed actions and timescales from the visit. Homes are asked to provide evidence and often re-visited to ensure actions have been completed within agreed timescales.
Contact the Quality in Care Homes Team:
Telephone: 0114 3054540