School meals are a great way for children to enjoy a nutritionally balanced and healthy meal with their friends.
There are 2 types of free school meals:
- income related free school meals
- infant free school meals
If you have a child attending a Sheffield school or maintained nursery and receive these benefits, you can claim free school meals:
- Income Support
- income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income related Employment Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit as long as you have a yearly household income of less than £16,190 (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) and do not get Working Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
If you are over 18 and still attend school, your free school meals will continue. If you are unsure about your eligibility please contact us.
Infant free school meals
If your child attends a state funded infant school and is in key stage 1, they are entitled to ‘universal infant free school meals’ regardless of your income. Please contact your child’s school to tell them you would like to have ‘universal infant free school meals’.
Apply for free school meals
You can apply by:
- filling out an application form
- ask the school to apply on your behalf
- contact us
Please make sure you have your National Insurance Number, names and date of births of your children.
Parents of infants who receive the above qualifying benefits
You can apply for free school meals if you think you might be entitled, because your school gets up to £1,320 additional funding (Pupil Premium) to support your child's education and can help to buy new equipment and resources.
This money is only paid if you apply for free school meals and are confirmed to be entitled.
Next steps after you've applied
If your claim is successful, the school will be notified that your child can have free school meals.
Schools will ensure that this information is treated with the strictest confidence and handled sensitively.
Change of circumstances
Contact us if your circumstances change.
For example, if you no longer receive benefits, move house or change school, as this may affect your right to claim.
Paid for school meals
Each school will have its own arrangements for ordering school meals, the meal prices in the Taylor Shaw Contract are:
- Nursery: £1.75
- Infants: free
- Junior : £2
- Secondary Schools will have an option for a 2 course meal for £2.10
The main catering contactor in Sheffield is Taylor Shaw - this contact runs until 2020. You can download a list of both Private Finance Initiative schools and schools who manage their own catering.