The Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE) is constituted by law to advise us. It has the following duties:
- to convene an Agreed Syllabus Conference to revise and recommend to us a local Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education (RE) for all maintained schools age 4 to 19 in Sheffield
- to monitor the provision of RE in Sheffield schools, preparing an annual report to us and the National Association of Standing Advisory Councils on Religious Education
- to advise Sheffield schools on Collective Worship and consider requests from head teachers for a determination to lift the requirement for it to be, in the main, Christian
- to advise Sheffield Schools on matters related to Religious Education and Collective Worship that arise from time to time
- to support Community Cohesion within the city
SACRE meets 3 times each year, at various venues around the city. It is composed of 4 committees, each with one vote, with a casting vote held by the Chair. It may co-opt members from time to time who have no vote.
Faiths represented in the city, including Christian Denominations other than Church of England
- The Church of England
- teachers' representatives
- Councillors and School Governors
The public has access to meetings, agendas and minutes.
Agreed syllabus for RE
Sheffield is currently undertaking a review of the Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education in Sheffield Schools.
Download the Revised Agreed Syllabus and Development Plans for Religious Education in Sheffield.