If you would like to request an improvement to traffic flow and road safety, as well as anything to improve your travel, please fill out our report and request form. Please note that not all requests will be successful.
If you would like to see where request have been made for please see our map of transport scheme request locations.
Inner Ring Road between Corporation Street & Saville Street consultation
Both traffic congestion and journey times on the Inner Ring Road (IRR) are increasing, particularly during the morning and evening peak hours. One of the worst sections is between the Sheffield Parkway and Penistone Road. This section needs additional road capacity and improvements to the operation and layout of the signalled junctions.
This will allow additional trips generated by the predicted future growth in the city centre and its economy to be accommodated.
We need to develop a set of proposals to:
- increase road capacity
- reduce journey times for all traffic modes
- reduce congestion which will improve air quality
- provide better connectivity to and through the City Centre for all modes
- unlock development sites
A bid has been submitted to the Sheffield City Region, which if successful will provide the funding for the proposal. Subject to funding, work is expected to start on site in the summer of 2018 with a planned completion in spring 2019.
How we are going to complete this
A number of proposals were developed and modelled to deliver these outputs, the best of which see plan SD-1992-C1, is the subject of this consultation.
This proposal will:
- move the right turn facility for traffic from Mowbray Street away from the Bridgehouses junction towards Savile Street
- increase the number of lanes clockwise from Corporation Street to Alma Street
- change the lane usage on the clockwise approach to Savile Street so you can either go left or ahead at the junction
- provide a left turn lane into Corporation Street
- re-route the path of traffic heading for Chatham Street at Bridgehouses to the left of the pedestrian island
- segregate cycles from other traffic by putting them on the footway where possible (segregating them from pedestrians where widths allow)
- provide a direct and segregated cycle crossing of the IRR at Bridge Street, which is to be promoted as one of the main routes into and out of the city centre
- replace the pedestrian crossing east of Bridgehouses with one nearer Savile Street
To comment on this scheme please contact the Scheme Design team by 1st November 2017.