We aim to keep your streets well lit. Problems may include:
- street lights and their electrics
- lamp posts
- temporary barriers around street lights
Sheffield street light replacement work
As part of our Streets Ahead project, we are currently replacing current street lights with new lighting that uses LED technology.
Benefits of the new street lights include:
- improved community safety – the ‘white lights’ show more colours so facial features can be seen
- reduced energy use, carbon emissions and light pollution
- an even and concentrated distribution of light onto the pavement and road, with minimal back-spill behind the lamp post
- a centrally controlled monitoring system which detects when repairs are required
Reducing carbon emissions from street lighting
Following declaration of a Climate Emergency in January 2019, the Council has been working to identify ways in which it can influence and directly reduce carbon emissions. Reducing energy consumption of Street Lighting was identified as such an opportunity and following a successful trial carried out in August and September 2019 proposals were made to implement these measures City wide.