As the Lead Local Flood Authority we have worked closely with the Environment Agency to develop the ‘Sheffield Flood Risk Management Strategy’.

The aim of the plan is to:

  • reduce the likelihood of flooding
  • provide more support to local communities to help individuals and groups take action to protect themselves
  • improve our city’s environment

Be prepared

GOV.UK has an easy-to-use guide on preparing for flooding, as well as a flood warning list. We will only provide sand bags if you are in immediate danger of flooding. If you are please telephone us. 

Land drainage

We are also the Land Drainage Authority for Sheffield with permissive powers relating to ordinary watercourses (small brooks and streams). If you are planning to carry out works to a watercourse you will need to contact us as you may need to get our consent before going ahead.

If you own land next to a river, or with a stream running through it, then you are a riparian owner with rights and responsibilities, which are explain in the Environment Agency’s ‘living on the edge’ document.

Contact Flood and Water Management Team

Howden House
1 Union Street

S1 2SH