Key services over Christmas 2020
On the 29, 30 and 31 December 2020 we are providing a reduced number of services. This will effect:
- collecting stray dogs
- problems with drains. Please contact Yorkshire Water on 0845 124 2429. They will direct you to us if are assistance is required
- reporting ringing alarms for domestic and commercial premises - the night time noise service is not available over the Christmas period
- urgent pest control services including rats and mice, cockroaches, bed bugs and others detrimental to health
If you need help with any of these issues please call 0114 203 7410 between 8.45am and 4.45pm. We can only help with those things listed above. Services will return to normal (within COVID-19 restrictions) on Monday 4 January 2021.
If you find a stray dog you should either:
- return it to its owner (if possible)
- contact us and have it collected
- visit our kennels on Bower Spring, S3 8PB
Alternatively, you could opt to keep hold of the dog and look after it yourself until its owner comes forward. You must contact us to obtain further information.
We keep a database register of all dogs that are lost or found and reported to us.
If you have lost your dog, then contact us to:
- see if your dog has been reported as found
- see if we have had any reports of your dog being seen in an area
You can also contact our kennels directly on 07817 497 995 to see if your dog has been impounded.
All stray dogs in the city are our responsibility. Under Section 68 of the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005, the Police are no longer involved in seizing stray dogs and do not have a duty to accept strays if taken to a Police Station.
Anyone who finds a stray dog must inform us, and has a legal obligation to hand the dog to either its owner or us. If you wish to report a stray dog please contact us.
If your dog is impounded as a stray, there will be a reclaim fee to pay. This is:
- £65 for the first 2 days
- £15 per day after that
Plus any veterinary treatment required for the dog. After 7 days, if the dog has not been reclaimed, it will become our property and may be available for adoption.
Adopt a dog
Our kennel staff are experienced in matching unwanted dogs with new owners. If you feel that you could give a home to a new pet they would like to hear from you. The staff will listen to your preferences and suggest the sort of pet that would suit you best. If we have suitable dogs the staff can arrange for you to seem them.