Totley is located about 8km south-west of the centre of Sheffield along the A621 which is one of the main arterial roads in the city. Beyond Totley, the road rises to Owler Bar and open countryside on the edge of the Peak District.
The Totley Conservation Area retains its village like atmosphere even though it is technically a suburb split into two halves on either side of Baslow Road.
There are various special elements that justify the designation of the conservation area. Examples include:
- Baslow Road which follows the course of an early 19th Century turnpike
- historic origins of the 'spine' roads of Totley Hall Lane and Hillfoot Road
- 8 listed buildings including the Grade II listed Totley Hall built in 1623 with 19th century additions by noted Sheffield architect J.D. Webster
- historic buildings for example Butts Hill and 315-337 Baslow Road
- War memorial and The Pinfold
- prevalent use of local stone as a building material
- semi-rural feel to the area helped by open space, stone boundary walls and mature trees on the rural fringe.
- distinctive local features such as gate piers, stone kerbs in Butts Hill and old street lamps
Date of designation
Totley Conservation Area was designated on 19th April 1973.
Conservation Area Appraisal
In our duty to periodically review historic areas and to publish proposals for their future preservation and enhancement, we undertook a public consultation and Conservation Area Appraisal in Totley in late 2008.
The appraisal and management plan were approved and adopted by the Planning board on 30th March 2009.