Dore is a suburb situated approximately 8km from the City Centre. Known as 'Dore Village', the area is separated from the rest of the South Western suburbs by a green buffer zone of Ryecroft Farm, Ecclesall Woods and Whirlow Brook Park.
Dore Conservation Area covers a small part of the village, focusing on the historic core built from the 18th Century onwards.
The special interest that justifies the designation of the Conservation Area comes from several features including, but not exclusively:
- surviving historic street pattern of lanes and greens
- architectural and historic interest including Christ Church and 10 other Grade II listed buildings
- Dore War Memorial and Memorial Lych Gate on Vicarage Lane
- village green, 'The Cockpit' and traces of other village greens
- other open spaces including the recreation ground and land between Dore Primary School and King's Croft
- prevalent use of local stone as a building material
- distinctive local features, stone boundary walls, gate piers, stone kerbs and drinking troughs
- areas of historic floors; setted entrances and stone footpaths
- historic associations with Richard Furness (1791-1857) who was Dore Old School's most significant schoolmaster and architect of Christ Church
Date of designation
The Dore Conservation Area was designated on 18 November 1971.
Conservation Area Appraisal
A review of the Conservation Area was undertaken in September 2008. The finalised documents are not currently available online.
A boundary map of the area is available.