The City Centre Conservation Area covers approximately 0.3 sq km of the City Centre and includes a large part of the grand Victorian architecture which exists in the centre, defining the commercial growth Sheffield experienced through the second half of the 19th century.
The current conservation area boundary runs along Bank Street and Queen Street to the north while to the east it is defined by post-war road development of Arundel Gate cutting through the centre.
To the west, the conservation area takes in part of Rockingham Street, while dividing and cutting through Division Street and West Street toward one end of Trippet Lane.
There are various special elements that justify the designation of the conservation area. These include:
- a high concentration of listed buildings reflecting Sheffield's commercial growth in the 19th century most notably the Town Hall listed at Grade I
- changing density of street patterns, ranging from the dense building form of the Cathedral quarter built in the 18th century to the larger and wider streets in the Victorian core such as Fargate which was widened in the 1870's
- grand inter-war civic development reflected in buildings such as the Grade II* listed City Hall and the grade II Central Library built in the late 1920's and 1930's
- an important centre for worship, including several listed churches and two listed cathedrals
- a mix of 20th century architecture notably a large number of Modernist shopping such as John Lewis on Barkers Pool and Marks and Spencer on Fargate
- paradise Square. Sheffield's only Georgian square; a rare planned development with housing surrounding it, now currently occupied by offices
- topography and dramatic views in and out of the city centre adding interest particularly to the north and across the valley and Park Hill to the east
- public spaces including the Peace Gardens and Barkers Pool
- prevalent use of local sandstone and red brick as building materials
- examples of historic street furniture and iron railings
Date of designation
Following public consultation the original 'Town Hall Conservation Area' and 'Cathedral Conservation Area' were combined. The City Centre Conservation Area was designated on 19th August 1996.
Conservation Area Appraisal
No recent appraisal has been done in the area however you can download a copy of the 1996 'Statement of Special Interest' below and a copy of the current boundary plan.