To use our computers free of charge you need to be a member of the library.
You can use the service as a visitor but you will be charged £1.50 for up to one hour's use. Additional time (if available) will be charged at the same rate, and you will need to provide proof of your name.
You will be issued with a ‘guest’ log-in by a member of staff.
On the People’s Network you can use:
- Microsoft Office 2010 – including Word (word processing), Excel (spreadsheets), PowerPoint (presentations), Access (databases), Publisher (creating publications)
- Internet Explorer or Google Chrome for browsing the web
- web-based email accounts – library staff can help you if you want to create one
- USB sticks, CD/DVD drive, floppy disk drives
- sound – please bring your own headphones
Each library has one:
- flat-bed scanner connected to a computer with Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 8 editing software
- computer on a height-adjustable desk
All access is filtered, and children’s access is filtered to a higher level.
Library staff are happy to help but they cannot give tuition.
- black and white – 10 pence per side
- colour – 50 pence per side
Special printing fees
For homework only, children and young people can have 5 x black and white and 1 x colour prints free of charge.
Getting started with computers - regular sessions for beginners
We host beginners' computer sessions at various locations across the city, often in partnership with other organisations.
Places are free but unless specified, must be booked.
We run regular sessions for beginners at the following times:
- Tuesdays: 10am to 12 noon
- Wednesdays: 6pm to 7.30pm – drop in
- Thursdays: 10am to 11.30am
For more information and to book a place, call Central Library on 0114 273 4712.
We also host regular sessions at the following community libraries:
- Crystal Peaks Library: Wednesdays 10am to 12noon
- Darnall Library: Tuesdays 10am to 12noon
- Firth Park Library: Mondays 10am to 12noon
- Highfield Library: Wednesdays 10am to 12noon
- Hillsborough Library: Tuesdays 10am to 12noon
- Manor Library: Mondays 2pm to 4pm
- Parson Cross Library: Tuesdays 10am to 12noon
For more information and to book a place, call Heeley Development Trust on 0114 250 0613.