The Sheffield School of Art (still in existence today as Sheffield Hallam University’s Department of Art and Design) traces its history back to 1837, when a School of Design was established in Sheffield in 1843 under the protection of the Board of Trade.
By 1859 the School had over 1000 pupils. Despite the strictures of the Board of Trade, classes were being offered in the fine arts as well as in design. In 1857 the School’s name was changed to the School of Art.
In 1923 it was recognised as a training college for art teachers and 3 years later its name was changed again to the Sheffield College of Arts and Crafts.
The College continued to function in a number of locations in the city centre until it settled in the old Bluecoat School building on Psalter Lane in 1951 where it remained until the 1990s.
In 1969 the School, renamed the College of Art in 1950, merged with the Sheffield Technical College to become Sheffield Polytechnic and subsequently Sheffield Hallam University.
The School of Art continues to exist today as Sheffield Hallam University’s Department of Art and Design.