The County Court dealt with civil actions involving small claims, equity, bankruptcy, divorce (from 1950s) and cases under some specific legislation. The main records are:
- judges’ notebooks, including divorce cases
- registrar’s notebooks
- summons, plaint and minute books giving names of plaintiff and defendant, note of claim, amount, decisions and dates
- bankruptcy registers and files giving name, address and occupation of debtor, creditor’s name, decisions and dates
- case files in equity proceedings
- workmen’s compensation registers and awards or agreements under Workmen’s Compensation Acts giving name and address of workman, name of firm, information on workman’s physical condition, decisions and dates; also Sheffield Silicosis Joint Committee (under the Refractories Industries (Silicosis) Scheme 1919) minute book 1926-1935.
- judges’ notebooks including divorce cases 1955-1958
- registrar’s notebooks 1937-1958
- summons book 1919-1920
- plaint and minute books 1922-1949 (incomplete)
- bankruptcy registers 1884-1950
- bankruptcy files 1886-1887, 1932-1940 (incomplete)
- workmen’s compensation registers 1900-1951 (incomplete), index 1930-1939
- awards or agreements under Workmen’s compensation Acts 1899-1954
Location of records
Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street.
Ordering in advance of a visit
Not all archive material is stored onsite and we may require notice of the items you wish to see. Please contact us to confirm when we can retrieve items for you. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, to book appointments or order archival materials.
Please also note that access to some records may be restricted under the Data Protection Act and may also be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. Please contact us for further details.
Yes, we can normally supply copies for private study purposes, subject to the usual copyright and Data Protection restrictions. Please contact us for further information.