Returns of Inquests provide information on the:
- date of the inquest
- name of the deceased
- age category
- whether a post mortem was performed
- whether the inquest was held before a jury, verdicts
- a statistical return at the end of each year
Registers of deaths reported
These tend to record the following details:
- name index
- serial number
- filing number by case type
- date of report to the coroner
- full name and address, age and sex of deceased
- about the inquest: type of inquest, verdict, details of adjournments and inquest files
Sheffield City and the West Riding areas for which the Sheffield City Coroner was responsible for:
Coroner’s registers 1926-1974 and inquest files 1940-1974(CC1)
South Yorkshire Western District (Barnsley and Rotherham) 1974 – 1990 (CC2)
Public Inquiry and Inquests into the Hillsborough Disaster 1989 – 1991 (CC5)
Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham Street.
Order before you visit
Coroners’ records are restricted access for up to 75 years.
Permission to see records less than 75 years old must first be obtained from the coroners office.
For further advice please contact us.
We can normally supply copies for private study purposes, subject to access restrictions and the usual copyright regulations. Please contact us.