We work with schools and businesses in Sheffield to offer a work experience co-ordination service. This is run on a Service Level Agreement between the school and ourselves. Some secondary schools will opt to arrange work experience on their own.
Provide a business placement
We are committed to providing as many work experience placements as possible to help our younger citizens gain some experience of working life.
If you cannot offer work placements, you might be able to offer:
- workshops relating to your business sector
- talks about how to get into your profession or industry
- a project in conjunction with one or more schools, for example a problem your company faces and ways to solve it
- a professional development day for school staff
- provision of marketing and/or other materials for students to use as part of their curriculum
If your business or service would like to offer a placement, or other services, to one of the schools please contact us or fill out our application form.
How we can support your business
We want to make it as easy as possible for businesses to offer work experience places or other types of support, especially for those who have never offered this before.
To do this we will:
- provide you with an employer guide and a copy of ‘The Right Start’, which sets out the risks and laws you need to consider
- discuss with you the types of tasks the work experience pupil will be doing
- assess any risks where appropriate
- work with the school to ensure they put forward the most suitable pupil for the role
- keep requests for information to a minimum and use electronic forms of communication where possible
- King Ecgberts
- High Storrs
- Firth Park
- Notre Dame
- Hinde House
- Heritage Park
Benefits of a work experience pupil
By offering a work experience placement you will be supporting young people with their transition into the world of work.
Work experience can help students learn some of the basics about working life, for example developing confidence, understanding relationships at work, dress codes, expected behaviour, development of health and safety awareness, increased knowledge of the opportunities and career paths available.
You will also help:
- create management development opportunities
- influence the quality of future employees
- influence career choices
- develop recruitment channels
- raise your community profile