Housing Associations are independent, not-for-profit organisations that provide affordable homes for people in need of housing. They are regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency.

Their rents are set in line with government guidance and they usually offer an ‘assured tenancy’ which provides considerable protection for the tenant.

Housing Associations provide a wide range of housing, from large estates of family housing, to small developments of housing for older people or supported housing for people with particular needs.

Some Housing Associations also offer affordable homes for sale through shared ownership to help people buy their own home.

Apply for Housing Association properties

There are two ways to apply:

  1. Register with the Council’s Housing Register and bid for Housing Association properties through Choice Based Lettings in the same way as you do for Council properties. Adverts for Housing Association properties state who the landlord is and explain who is eligible to apply.

  2. Apply to some of the Housing Associations directly. Some keep their own waiting lists and allocate some of their properties independently, outside of the Choice Based Lettings process. There will usually be an application form to fill in, either online or as a paper form, for each Association you decide to apply to.

Council Housing Service