At the start of each year, we review your rent for the coming year. In line with the Government's Welfare Reform and Work 2016, the Council has approved a rent decrease of 1% to be applied from 3 April 2017.
Informing you of changes
In February, all tenants will be sent a letter letting you know about the change in your net rent from Monday 3 April 2017.
In March you will be sent a further letter which sets out the weekly amount of rent to pay taking into account any other charges (eg water rates, community heating etc) and any financial support you may receive (eg Housing Benefit).
How rent is worked out
Most council rents are social rents which, for individual properties, are set in accordance with a Government formula. The formula is based on a property valuation, the number of bedrooms and average income in South Yorkshire.
A very small number of council rents are Affordable Rents. Affordable Rent is up to 80% of the market/private rent for equivalent property in an area. It is higher than social rent and was brought in by the Government in 2010 to provide social landlords with financial capacity to deliver new affordable homes.
Changes to other charges
Other changes from the Monday 3 April 2017 agreed by the Council are:
- 10% reduction to the community heating unit charge to tenants who receive metered community heating. Community heating charges for those tenants receiving unmetered heating will remain unchanged
- the Sheltered Housing service charge of £14.89 will increase by £0.65 to recover the cost for communal heating in sheltered schemes
- no increases to burglar alarms or charges for furnished accommodation
- water charges will be shown on the second gross amount letter with a leaflet from the water company included
From 2017/18, garage rents will change to a single rate for garage plots and a single rate for garage sites. Once implemented, this will apply to new garage tenants immediately and to existing garage tenants once improvements have been made to existing sites and plots. All garage tenants will be given notification of any change to their existing garage rent rate.
If you pay by Direct Debit
If you pay your rent by Direct Debit, we will automatically inform your bank of the new amount that is payable. You will receive a notification letter from us advising you of any change to the Direct Debit amount at least 2 weeks prior to the change:
- if you pay by weekly Direct Debit, the amount debited will change on 24 April 2017
- if you pay by monthly Direct Debit on the 28th of each month, the amount debited will change on 28 April 2017
- if you pay by monthly Direct Debit on the 1st, 7th, 14th or 21st the amount debited will not change until your payment date in May 2017
- any adjustment for April will be collected through your remaining payments between May 2017 and March 2018
If you pay by Standing Order
If you pay your rent by Standing Order, please inform your bank of the new amount as soon as possible.
Help & advice
If you are experiencing financial difficulties, or struggling to pay your rent, then there is support available. We can provide help and advice on your money matters, as well as discussing your new rent payments with you.