Condition 12 in ‘You and your Home’ states you must not alter or improve the property unless you have written permission. This includes:

  • an extension
  • putting up a shed, greenhouse, fence or gate
  • adding, changing or replacing the fixtures and fittings provided by us
  • altering essential gas, electric and water servicespPutting up a radio or television aerial or satellite dish
  • decorating your home’s exterior
  • keeping a cat or dog in a flat or maisonette
  • keeping a mobility scooter in flats or sheltered accommodation
  • running a business from your property
  • subletting part of the property

If you have altered your property without written permission, please tell us. We will make every effort to grant ‘retrospective’ permission. 

If you alter or add something to your home without permission, you may have to put things right at your own expense if the work does not meet a standard that is satisfactory.

If you are planning any DIY work and think asbestos could be present, contact us for advice. You should also get in touch if you think you have damaged a material containing asbestos. There’s more information about asbestos in our 'Asbestos in the home' leaflet.

When the alterations are completed

If we give you permission you should carry out the work, within 90 days and let us know when it is complete. We will then inspect the work to make sure that it is satisfactory to Council Housing Service.

If we have not heard from you within the 90 day period we will contact you to find out if you are still carrying out the work. If we don’t hear from you the permission will be withdrawn and you will have to apply again.