Ice cream mobile consents are issued to ice cream traders who want to trade from numerous locations around Sheffield for short periods of time. Ice cream mobile consent holders are permitted to trade around the Sheffield area except the city centre boundary.
Applicants must meet the city wide qualitative criteria which forms the basis on which to test applications.
All mobile street trading consents expire on 31 March.
All vehicles will be inspected prior to issuing a consent to ensure it complies with the qualitative criteria.
In order to regulate ice cream mobile traders, restrictions are put in place as below:
- traders will move from site to site and will remain stationary for no longer than 15 minutes for sales to be made and must not return to that site within the same day (site refers to a 400 metre radius)
- any consent issued for an ice cream mobile street trader does not permit the holder to trade within an 800 metre radius of the Sheffield Arena, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United Stadiums on any event or match day for 4 hours previous, during and one hour after any event
- ice cream mobile consent holders are not permitted to trade within a 400 metre radius of any static traders, other mobile traders, or shops, trading in similar goods or articles
- mobile traders are only permitted to trade within the hours of 9am to 7pm inclusive
- ice cream mobile traders cannot stop within 800 metres of any school from an hour before the start of the school day until an hour after the end of the school day
Apply for additional licences
If you wish to trade around schools or football grounds you will need to apply for an additional licence to do so.
What it costs
The fee is £246 for a one year licence and this must be submitted with your application.
Apply for street trading consent
Download and post the application form below.
You will be required to submit the following to us:
- a completed application form
- the relevant fee
- three colour photographs of the vehicle to be used showing front, back and side
- two passport sized colour photographs of the applicant(s)
- passport of the applicant(s)
- driver's licence of the applicant(s)
- one other proof of identity, showing applicant’s name and current address (utility bill, bank statement etc)
- right to work documentation (if applicable)
- details of any food hygiene qualifications (unless trading in non-food items)
- if trading in food, confirmation that your business has food hygiene score rating of 3 or above
- confirmation that you meet the city wide qualitative criteria
- any further information you may wish to submit in support of your application
The following documents must be forwarded to us before the grant of a consent:
- a certificate of insurance in respect of the vehicle
- an appropriate vehicle test certificate
- a certificate of public liability insurance (the level of cover shall be a minimum of £2,000,000)
- written confirmation that the vehicle meets our food safety standards
- waste management contract
- declare that you have registered as a food business if relevant
If you need more space to make your application, please securely attach additional sheets to your application.
Terms & conditions
Ice cream traders are subject to additional terms as well as our standard terms and conditions:
- Ice cream mobile consent holders are not permitted to remain static for more than 15 minutes, and cannot return to the same site within the same day (site refers to a 400 metre radius).
- Ice cream mobile consent holders are not permitted to trade within a 400 metre radius of any static traders, other mobile traders, or shops, trading in similar goods/articles.
- Any consent issued for a mobile street trader does not permit the holder to trade within an 800 metre radius of the Sheffield Arena, Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United Stadiums on any event/match day for 4 hours previous, during and one hour after any event.
- Ice cream mobile traders can only trade between the hours of 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday inclusive.
- Ice cream mobile traders must ensure that any stopping position does not infringe any parking or traffic requirements or cause obstruction of the highway, and does not present any dangers to other road users or pedestrians.
- Ice cream mobile traders must not stop within 800 metres of any school from an hour before the start of the school day until an hour after the end of the school day unless granted a school consent for that site.
Once an application is received, we consult with South Yorkshire Police, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service and our Highways and Planning departments.
Consultees are given 28 days in which to make comments and this is therefore the minimum time it will take us to process your application.
Any representations will be considered and placed before the Licensing Committee for determination.
Please note: all stalls or units will be inspected prior to issuing a consent to ensure it complies with the qualitative criteria.
If there are no issues you will be asked to sign and return the consent conditions confirming you have understood and will comply with them. You will then be issued with a consent and a certificate along with a copy of the conditions.