Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

We define a street party as:

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • publicity only to residents
  • no licences normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • self-organised by the local residents

Permissions & licenses

Typically a street party will involve closing a street. To do this, you need to complete a road closure application as soon as possible before the event is due to take place.  We will need at least 2 weeks to process these applications.

Please note, if you want to:

  • hold live performances, film screenings or dancing
  • play live or pre-recorded music for entertainment purposes
  • sell alcohol
  • hold a raffle
  • sell food and hot drinks between 11pm and 5am

you may also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN), for which there is a small charge.

Temporary Event Notice

A temporary event notice (TEN) allows a premises or a property to be used for small scale ad hoc events.

TENs cover:

  • the temporary carrying on of the sale or supply of alcohol
  • regulated entertainment
  • late night refreshment at premises which are not authorised by a premises licence or club premises certificate

We are part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, visit the European Commission website.

Contact Licensing Team

Ask us a question

01142734264 Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

Block C
Staniforth Road Depot
S9 3HD

You might also like…