Any person who deals in second hand goods as a business must register with us. Every business registered must keep a log of all transactions which can be inspected by the Police.
If you want to view further information regarding the above see section 52 of the South Yorkshire Act 1980.
Who doesn't need to register
You don't need to register if you fall into one of the following categories:
- any person engaged in a business carried on by a group organisation or body which is registered as a charity under section 4 of the Charities Act 1960 or excepted from registration by virtue of subsection (4) of that section
- a person who is registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964
- a person engaged in business as a dealer in waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastics in bulk
- the holder of a licence issued under section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, in respect of activities covered by the licence of a person who does not need such a licence by virtue of section 21 of that Act
- a person engaged in the business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements or credit sale agreements (as defined in section 189(1) of the said Act of 1974) or of financing the use of goods by means of bailment agreements
- a person engaged in a business of which the primary purpose is the supply of new unused goods and to which the supply of second hand or used goods is merely incidental
Who can apply for a second hand dealers registration
Anyone who carries on a business as a dealer in second hand goods.
How long registration lasts
Registration lasts 3 years. After this you need to re-apply to renew your registration.
To apply for a new registration or renew your existing registration costs £20.
What you need to provide with your application
Please submit the following:
- a completed application form (and privacy statement if applying by post)
- the appropriate fee
What happens once you have made an application
There is not a set application process as this is a registration only, however, we endeavour to process your application within 14 days of receipt.
Once we issue a registration certificate you must display this at your premises.
Tacit consent will not apply
You cannot assume your registration has been granted if you haven't heard from us within 14 days. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us after this time you should contact us.
Apply to register as a second hand dealer or renew your current registration
Apply to register and pay your application fee online.
How to make an appeal or a complaint
If you want to appeal a decision you should contact us. Members of the public who are experiencing problems with a licensed premises should contact us for advice.