All persons who deal in second hand goods as a business must register with us unless they fall into one of the following categories:
- Any person engaged in a business carried on by a group organisation or body which is registered as a charity under section 4 of the Charities Act 1960 or excepted from registration by virtue of subsection (4) of that section;
- A person in respect of whom particulars are registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 in respect of his business as a scrap metal dealer;
- A person engaged in business as a dealer in waste paper, cardboard, textiles or plastics in bulk in respect of his business as such;
- The holder of a licence issued under section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, in respect of activities covered by the licence of a person who does not need such a licence by virtue of section 21 of that Act;
- A person engaged in the business either of financing the acquisition of goods by means of hire purchase agreements, conditional sale agreements or credit sale agreements (as defined in section 189(1) of the said Act of 1974) or of financing the use of goods by means of transaction incidental thereto; a person engaged in a business of which the primary purpose is the supply of new unused goods and to which the supply of second hand or used goods is merely incidental.
Registration lasts 3 years and you can re-apply as a renewal by following the same application procedure.
Every business registered must keep a log of all transactions, which can be inspected by the Police.
The cost for registering as a Second Hand Dealer in Sheffield is £15, submit this with your application.
Apply by post
To register as a second hand dealer you must apply by post with the form below.
There is no set eligibility criteria, however if you fall in the above exemptions you do not require to be registered with us.
Application evaluation process
You must complete the appropriate registration form.
There is not a set application process as this is a registration only; however we endeavour to process your application within 14 days of receipt.
How we will notify you and timescales
Once you have registered, we will issue you with a registration certificate within 14 days.
A copy of the registration certificate must be displayed at your premises once issued.
There is no formal right of appeal, however please contact us in this instance.
Complaints and comments
In the first instance please contact us.
For consumers, we would always advice that in the event of a complaint contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).
If that has not worked, and if you are located:
- In the UK, ask Citizen’s Advice
- Outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre
We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area. For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states from the European Commission.