To run a caravan and camping site you need a site licence from us. This licence covers both caravan sites and camping sites and you will need to apply for this licence if you wish to run either or both types of site.
Camping site conditions
You will need a licence for a camping site if you allow your land to be used by the public for camping on more than 42 days consecutively or for 60 days in a year.
Caravan site licence conditions
A licence is required for any land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and for land used in conjunction with it.
Caravan site licences may have conditions that cover any of the following:
- restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
- controlling the types of caravans on the site
- controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
- to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
- fire safety and fire fighting controls
- to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained
The conditions attached to a licence will normally relate to the internal arrangement of the site and its facilities, but a licence may not be granted unless the site also has the benefit of planning permission.
When you will not need a licence
A licence will not be required for:
- use within curtilage of a dwelling house
- use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights
- use of holdings of five acres or more in certain circumstances
- sites occupies and supervised by exempted organisations
- sites approved by exempted organisations
- meetings organised by exempted organisations
- agricultural and forestry workers
- building and engineering sites
- travelling showmen
Who can apply for a caravan and camping site licence
The owner of the land can apply for a caravan and camping site licence.
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.
How long a licence lasts
Licences issued are not be time limited. However, if your site only has the benefit of temporary planning permission, the site licence will expire on the same date.
Please contact us for up to date costs.
What you need to provide with your application
Applications must be in writing and should detail the land that the application concerns and any other information required by us.
You also need to provide details of your planning permission.
What happens once you have made an application
Once we receive your application, we will consult with any relevant services or authorities.
A decision will be made on your application within 6 weeks of you submitting it. If we expect this period to go beyond 6 weeks we will inform you of this in writing.
Tacit consent will apply
This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the 6 weeks.
Apply for, change or transfer a caravan and camping site licence
You can apply online for a new licence, to change the details of an existing licence or to transfer your licence to a different owner.
How to make an appeal or a complaint
In the first instance you should contact us.
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence can appeal to the Magistrates' Court. This must be done within 28 days of the licence being issued.
We may alter conditions on your licence at any time but we must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If you disagree with the alterations then you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must also be served on us
If you have a complaint about standards on a touring, static holiday or a residential caravan site, contact Sheffield City Council’s Private Housing Standards by email@example.com who can provide advice.