If you need help to pay your Council Tax, you may be able to claim Council Tax Support. Council Tax Support replaced Council Tax Benefit, and is also known as Council Tax Reduction.

Who can apply

You can make a claim if any of the following apply:

  • you own your home (either outright or you have a mortgage)
  • you are the person whose name is on the Council Tax bill
  • if you are jointly responsible for Council Tax we can help pay your share of the bill

You will not be entitled to claim if any of the following apply:

  • you are not responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
  • either you or your partner, or both of you together, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit)
  • you’re an asylum seeker, unless you've been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom
  • you’ve been admitted to the United Kingdom on the condition that you have no recourse to public funds. This means that you must not claim benefits

Download our 'Persons from Abroad Factsheet' if you are considering making a claim for Council Tax Support, but are newly arrived in or recently returned to the United Kingdom.

Equity release

Equity release is a way that older homeowners can use their homes to generate income and capital while continuing to live there.

If you receive Council Tax Support and are thinking about releasing the equity in your home, it could mean that you’re no longer entitled to Council Tax Support, or your entitlement is reduced.

Contact us if you decide to release the equity in your home.

Seek expert advice before opting for equity release, for instance Age UK guidance about equity release and income-related benefits.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is a Council Tax discount. You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you:

  • have reached the age for claiming State Pension Credit
  • are the only person liable to pay Council Tax in the household
  • have other adults living with you who are on a low income

Usually, you can’t claim Second Adult Rebate if you are jointly responsible for paying Council Tax with someone else.

If, however, you are jointly responsible with someone who isn’t counted for Council Tax purposes, you may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate.

If you already get Council Tax Support, you will not need to claim Second Adult Rebate.

If you are entitled to Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate, you will get the one that gives you the most money. The most Second Adult Rebate that we can pay is 25% of your Council Tax bill.

The person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax bill and not the second adult must make the claim for Second Adult Rebate.

We need to know the claimant's National Insurance number and see proof of their identity. We’ll only need proof of the second adult's income and capital.

Your income and savings won’t affect your entitlement to Second Adult Rebate, because it is based on the other person's circumstances.

Council Tax Hardship Scheme

Our hardship scheme helps people who already receive Council Tax Support and who are in severe financial hardship. We assess based on individual circumstances. Find out more by looking at our Council Tax Support Scheme document.

Benefits Team

P.O. Box 1310