Skip to content

Care and support needs assessment

Types of help

When you contact us, we will talk to you about the problems you are having and the issues you are facing, and how you can get care and support.

Short term help

If you need short term help to regain your independence, we will talk to you about the care and support we can give you to help you learn new ways to do things and live as independently as possible.

Long term help

If you have long term care and support needs, we will arrange to visit you to carry out an assessment of your needs.


Preparing for your assessment

This assessment is about you, so take some time before the visit to think about

  • what’s important to you, and what you can do for yourself
  • how your family and local community support you
  • what’s difficult for you, and how you overcome any problems.

For example, you may have concerns about

  • your health
  • medicines
  • personal care
  • sight
  • hearing
  • emotional well-being
  • managing your home
  • social activities
  • getting about.

You may find it helpful to make some notes beforehand to help you remember questions you want to ask or concerns you want to discuss.

Your involvement

We will make sure you are able to be involved in your assessment and care and support planning.
If you:

  • have substantial difficulty in being involved in your assessment and care and support planning (such as difficulty understanding or retaining information), and
  • you have no family or friends who can help,

We will arrange for an independent person (called an advocate) to help you so you can be fully involved.

The assessment

The assessment is a chance for you to discuss your care and support needs, in confidence, with a social care worker.

They will:

  • meet with you and anyone you want to be involved, to ask how you manage your day to day life activities and what help you need to stay independent.
  • explain the process, and listen to your views and the views of family and friends, and other professionals involved in your care, like your doctor.
  • encourage you to explain what you think you need and what you want to be able to do in the future.
  • talk to you about how you can use benefits like the mobility component of your Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance, or your Motability vehicle, to get about.
  • talk to you about how equipment and technology could help you around the home and keep you safe and independent, and how this can be arranged.
  • ask about any support you get from your family, and will ask them if they would like an assessment of their needs as a carer to make sure we can support them too.

Your social care worker will record your needs on a form called the Assessment Questionnaire. An example form is available below. The form includes personal information about your health and background, so we keep this information securely.

If you have health, housing or care and support needs we may need to share your information with other agencies. We will always ask you first, unless we need to act quickly to protect you from harm.


After your assessment

Whatever the level of care and support needs you have, we will work with you to identify how we can reduce your needs or prevent them from getting worse.

We want to help you to be as independent as possible, so we first look at:

  • how you can help yourself
  • the support you get from family, friends and your community.

If your assessment shows you still have eligible care and support needs, and there is no one available to help with those needs, we will provide care and support.

If you have no eligible care and support needs we will help you to remain safe, independent and well by giving you information and advice about community and voluntary services that can help you.

If you’re not happy with our decision speak to your social care worker about using our ‘Look Again’ process, where your assessment is checked again. If this doesn’t resolve the situation ask your social care worker how you can make a complaint.

Find out more:


Make a complaint about any service.

Contact us

If you have a question about this information, want a printed copy to be sent to you, or want to speak to someone you can contact us.

Information can be provided in alternative formats and other languages on request.

  • Modified: Apr 13, 2016 10:52:34 AM