Skip to content

Street Collection Permit


If you plan to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes, you may require a Street Collection Permit from us.

The Police, Factories, etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916 and the Street Collection Regulations set out the law with regards to Street Collection permits.



If you wish to collect money or sell articles in any street (which includes any highway, public bridge, road, lane, footway, square, court, alley or passageway whether a thoroughfare or not) or public place for charitable purposes within the Sheffield City boundary, then you must obtain street collection permit from us.

No permit is required for:

  1. any collection at a meeting in the open air, or;
  2. the selling of articles in the ordinary course of trade (Regulation 17).

Collections can only be made on the days and times as stated on the issued Permit.

If any person is assisting you in the collection, they can only do so with the written authorisation of the promoter; however no person under the age of 16 years is permitted to act as a collector.

Once a collection has taken place, you must submit a Form of Statement, also known as a return, to us giving an account of the monies raised. This form can be downloaded at the bottom of the page or you can submit it online.

We would advise you to contact us prior to submitting your form as the date and location you are applying for may already have been booked.

We have a Street Collection Policy that can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. It sets out in more detail, the way applications will be considered.

Top of the page


There are no costs involved in applying for a Street Collection Permit.

Top of the page

Eligibility Criteria

A completed application form must be submitted to us at least 28 days prior to your proposed collection date.

Please refer to our Street Collection Policy at the bottom of this page for more details.

Top of the page

Regulation Summary

The power to regulate street collections and to issue licences is contained in the Police, Factories, etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916.

Top of the page

Application Process

If you wish to undertake a street collection, you must first contact us to establish whether the area and the date you would like to collect is available.

A large number of charities use the public spaces in Sheffield to make charitable collections and the fairest way to coordinate this is by a booking in system on a first come first served basis.

We must receive a completed application form before we can book the area for you as provisional bookings over the telephone cannot be taken.

It is our policy to allow only one collection in a location at any one time.

You can read our Street Collection Policy in full at the bottom of this page.

We must receive the completed application form at least 28 days prior to the required collection date. Within that 28 days, the Licensing Authority will consult with South Yorkshire Police for any comments and take into account the Policy and any Regulations.

It is advisable to submit your application as soon as practicable to ensure no delay is made should your application be referred to our Licensing Committee.

Top of the page

Timescales / How we will notify you

Your application will not be automatically granted as it is in the public interest that your application is processed before it can be granted to ensure public security and that applications are not fraudulent.

If no objections are submitted by South Yorkshire Police, your street collection permits will be issued. If you have not heard from us within 14 days of submitting your application, please contact us.

If South Yorkshire Police object to your application, you will be served a notice and your application will then be determined by the Licensing Committee, where you will be invited to attend.

Top of the page

Making an application

Note: when you click the links above, you will be redirected to the governments Business Link website. You are required to create a Government Gateway account before you can proceed with your application.

If you'd prefer, you can contact us for an application pack, or you may print an application form and other documents from the downloadable documents at the bottom of the page and send them to us through the post or bring them to our reception.

For details of our postal address, how to find our reception and reception opening times please contact us.

Top of the page


Please contact us in the first instance.

There is no statutory right of appeal against the refusal of a Street Collection Permit. Should you wish to challenge the Licensing Authorities decision, you will have to apply to the High Court for a review of the decision.

Top of the page

Complaints and Feedback

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the promoter - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Useful Link

Charity Commission

Top of the page

European Commission Logo

We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states: the European Commission.


  • Modified: Jan 11, 2013 11:01:19 AM