Skip to content

House to house collections licence

Door to door collections for cash and/or goods, and those from pub to pub for a charitable purpose needs to be licensed. This is known as a house to house collection.

These collections need to be undertaken in accordance with the House to House Collections Act 1939 and the House to House Regulations 1947.



Organisations that are planning to carry out a collection of money (or articles for sale or use) by means of visits from house to house (including business premises) where the proceeds are for charitable purposes need a licence from us.

Please enclose a letter of authority from the charity, which states that you have been authorised to do the charity work.

The Charity Commission can issue an exemption certificate to larger charities, and we regulate smaller collections.

If you do have an exemption certificate and wish to collect in our boundary, please contact us with the dates and areas of where you propose to collect.

Please note: a House to House licence can not be issued for a period exceeding one year and you must ensure compliance in regards to the dates and areas specified on the licence along with the regulation requirements.

Every promoter of a collection shall exercise all due diligence to secure:

  • that persons authorised to act as collectors for the purposes of the collection are fit and proper persons
  • compliance of the part persons so authorized with the provisions of the regulations

Once a collection has taken place, you must submit a ‘Form of Account of Expenses’, also known as a 'return', to us within one month of the expiry of the licence. 



There is no charge for a house to house collection permit.

However, once a permit is issued, you are required to apply to HM Stationery Office (HMSO) for copies of the prescribed Certificate of Authority and prescribed badges (which you will need to supply to all your collectors). There will be a charge for these:

The Stationery Office
Customer Services
PO Box 29

Telephone 0870 6005522.

It is an offence for any collector to collect without having in his/her possession the required signed authority and badge.


Eligibility criteria

Applications must be in the form prescribed by us.

You must be a fit and proper person.


Regulation summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence.


Application process

We must receive the completed application form at least 28 days prior to the required collection date. Within those 28 days, we will consult with South Yorkshire Police for any comments and take into account any Regulations.

However, it is advisable to submit your application as soon as practicable to ensure no delay is made should your application be referred to our Licensing Committee.

In deciding on whether to grant your application, we must be satisfied that the applicant is ‘fit and proper’, and can take into account specified convictions.

We reserve the right to make more detailed enquiries about your application in certain circumstances. This could include requesting that the applicant or any other person associated with the organisation submits a disclosure of unspent criminal convictions at our request.


Timescales and how we will notify you

Your application will not be automatically granted as it is in the public interest that your application is processed before it can be granted to ensure public security and that applications are not fraudulent.

If you have not heard from us within 14 days of submitting your application, please contact us.


Apply for a licence

Note: when you click the links above, you will be directed to the GOV.UK website. You are required to create a Government Gateway account before you can proceed with your application.

If you'd prefer, you can contact us for an application pack, or you may print an application form and send it to us through the post or bring it to our reception.

For details of our postal address, how to find our reception and reception opening times please see contact us.



Please contact us.

An applicant is able to appeal the Licensing Authorities decision to refuse or revoke a licence to the Secretary of State within 14 days of the notice of decision.


Complaints and comments

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the collecting charity by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked and are located in the UK, consumer rights will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


Related website

Charity Commission.


European Economic Area

We are part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, from the European Commission.

  • Modified: Nov 4, 2014 10:13:44 AM