Skip to content

Caravan and camping site licence

To run a caravan and camping site you need a licence which is known as a ‘site licence’ from the local authority.



A site licence is required in respect of any land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and for land used in conjunction with it.

A site licence will not be required in the following circumstances:

  • Use within curtilage of a dwelling house

  • Use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights

  • Use of holdings of five acres or more in certain circumstances

  • Sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations

  • Sites approved by exempted organisations

  • Meetings organised by exempted organisations

  • Agricultural and forestry workers

  • Building and engineering sites

  • Travelling showmen

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time

  • controlling the types of caravans on the site

  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents

  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees

  • fire safety and fire fighting controls

  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

The conditions attached to a site licence will normally relate to the internal arrangement of the site and its facilities, but a licence may not be granted unless the site also has the benefit of planning permission.

Licences issued will not be time limited, however, if your site only has the benefit of a temporary planning permission, the site licence will expire on the same date.



Please contact Private Sector Housing for details of costs for this licence prior to making a formal application.


Phone 0114 2734680


Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.


Regulation Summary

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960


Application Evaluation Process

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated.

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by us.

A decision will be made on your application within 6 weeks of you submitting your application. Within that time period, we will consult with the Fire Service.


How we will notify you / Timescales

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

We will endeavour to provide you with a decision of your application within 6 weeks of you submitting your application. If we expect this period to exceed, we will inform you of this in writing.


Making an application

Please contact us prior to making a formal application.

Apply online:

For a site licence

To change an existing licence

To transfer an existing licence

Note: when you click the links above, you will be redirected to the governments GOV.UK website.

You are required to create a Government Gateway account before you can proceed with your application.



In the first instance, please contact us.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence can appeal to the Magistrates' Court; this must be done within 28 days of the licence being issued.

We may alter conditions on your licence at any time but we must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes.

If you (the licence holder) disagree with the alterations then you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court.

The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must also be served on us


Complaints and Feedback

Please contact us for advice should you wish to register a complaint about standards on a touring, static holiday or a residential caravan site in Sheffield.


Useful links


We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, go to the European Commission website.

  • Modified: Sep 29, 2016 10:07:29 AM