Skip to content

Premises licences

A premises licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 allows a premises to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or serve late night refreshment.

Overview of the premises licence.



A premises licence is a single authorisation that allows a premises to be used for one or more licensable activities.

‘Premises’ means any place including a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure.

You must specify when making your application, which activities you wish to hold at your premises and the hours and days they will take place.

Once issued, a premises licence remains in force until it is surrendered by the holder or revoked following a review of the licence.

Some licences are time limited. The period will be specified on the licence and the licence lapses at the end of the specified period.

A premises licence can lapse if the holder of the licence:

  • Dies

  • Becomes mentally incapable

  • Becomes insolvent or until the business dissolves

Please contact us immediately if any of these situations occur.

When you make an application, the details of the application will be published on the website and the information on any licence granted will be included in a public register.



An annual fee is payable to us each year on the anniversary of the date the licence was first granted. Download the list of fees:


Eligibility criteria

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a person who is registered under Chapter 2 of Part 1 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 in respect of the carrying on of a regulated activity (within the meaning of that Part) in an independent hospital in England
  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • a person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person.

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age.


Regulation summary

Read the Act in full.


Apply online

Apply online for a premises licence.

You will need to create a Government Gateway account before you can proceed with your application.

Pay by cheque (made payable to Sheffield City Council) through the post, or bring cash and cheques to our reception (see contact us for our address).

Other ways to apply

Print the application form and the appropriate documents below and post  them to us or bring them to our reception (see contact us for our address).


Application process

If the premises you are proposing to use are within the Sheffield boundary, you need to make an application to us.

Applications must be accompanied by the required fee.

The application form will allow you to put details of your proposed operating schedule such as:

  • the licensable activities

  • the times when the activities will take place

  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public

  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for

  • information in respect of the designated premises supervisor

  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or off the premises or both

  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives

  • any other required information.

Guidance notes

With your application, you must submit a plan of the premises that adheres to the guidance notes:


Selling alcohol

If you are proposing to sell alcohol from the premises a form of consent must be signed by the designated premises supervisor for the premises and submitted with the application.

A designated premises supervisor must hold a personal licence.


Advertise your application

You must advertise your application in line with this guidance:


Display a notice on the premises

You must also display a notice on the premises that is to be licensed. Download the notice template:


Notify responsible authorities

Applicants must provide a copy of the application to a number of ‘responsible authorities’.

If you are applying online, we will circulate your application to the responsible authorities.

It is advisable to gain your own legal advice prior to applying for a licence.

Premises under construction or being refurbished

If the premises have not yet been constructed or are due to go under major refurbishment then an application for a provisional statement is required.


Timescales / how we will notify you

On the day after an application is received, a 28 day consultation period begins allowing comments or 'representations' to be made about the application by the responsible authorities and any other person.

During this time, the responsible authorities will work with you to ensure your proposals are in line with the 4 licensing objectives.

If no comments are received during this period the application will be deemed granted after the last date for representation and your licence will be issued and sent to you.

If relevant representations are received within the 28 day consultation period a public hearing must be held to determine your application. You will be notified in writing telling you when the hearing will be, who has made a representation and what that representation is.

The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if we consider it is in the public interest to do so.



Please contact us.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal our decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision.


Complaints and comments

Members of the public who are experiencing problems with licensed premises may wish to read information for residents or can contact us for advice.


Useful websites


European Economic Area

We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

More information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states from the European Commission.


  • Modified: Feb 25, 2016 11:53:42 AM