Skip to content

Personal Licences

A personal licence is granted to an individual and authorises that individual to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol, in accordance with a premises licence.


Apply for a Personal Licence

If you normally live within the Sheffield boundary you must make an application for a personal licence to us.

You can either contact us for an application pack or download an application form and guidance notes below.

Application form




The fee for a personal licence is £37

Electronic and paper application forms

We are currently unable to accept electronic application forms.

Please print a copy of the form and complete it in writing. We are also unable to take payment via the internet. You can pay by cash, cheque or postal orders. Please do not send cash by post.


Criminal convictions

There are a number of relevant offences under the Licensing Act 2003 for Personal Licences. If you have been convicted of any of these offences, you must declare them as part of the application.

If you have been convicted of a relevant offence that is not yet spent, we need to consult South Yorkshire Police. This will increase the time it takes to determine your licence application.



Once you have submitted your application form and supporting documents to us, we are able to issue your personal licence straight away (unless you have been convicted of 1 or more relevant offences).

We receive a lot of personal licence applications and we process them in the order that we receive them.


Time your licence is valid for

Personal licences now remain in force indefinitely unless surrendered, suspended, revoked or declared forfeit by the courts.


Licence's appearance

A personal licence is in 2 parts; a paper part and a card.

Both parts of the licence show the holders name and address and the name of the licensing authority that granted it.

The paper part also contains a record of any relevant offences of which the holder has been convicted, the date of the conviction and the sentence imposed in respect of it.

If changes to the licence are needed both parts of the licence must be returned to us to be amended.


Change your licence

As a personal licence holder, you have a duty to notify us of any changes to your circumstances.

Change your name or address

You must notify us of a change to your name or address as soon as possible. Failure to do so constitutes an offence which is punishable by a maximum fine of £2500.

Download the change of address form below.



The fee for a change of name or address is £10.50.

You must return both parts of your licence for amendment.

Convictions after grant or renewal

If you are convicted of a relevant offence after your licence has been granted, you must notify the court that you are a personal licence holder and either produce your licence to the court or provide an explanation as to why you are unable to do so.


Lost or stolen licences

Where a personal licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, the holder may apply to us for a copy of the licence.

Download the application form to apply for a copy of your personal licence below.



Cost: £10.50

If your licence has been lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft to the police and provide us with an officer number or crime number to show you have reported it.


List of accredited personal licence qualification providers

  • Modified: Nov 23, 2015 3:57:05 PM