Skip to content

Club premises certificates

The Licensing Act 2003 acknowledges that volunteer and social clubs have different licensing issues than commercially run premises selling direct to the public. These kinds of premises can apply for a club premises certificate.



A club premises certificate may authorise the conduct of any of the qualifying club activities, namely:

  • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of the club to, or to the order of, members of the club

  • the sale by retail of alcohol by or on behalf of the club to a guest of a member of the club for consumption on the premises where the sale takes place

  • the provision of regulated entertainment (where that provision is by or on behalf of a club for members of the club or members of the club and their guests)

In a qualifying club there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another.

In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003 – see eligibility criteria.

When you make an application, the details of the application will be published on the website and the information on any licence granted will be included in a public register.



An annual fee is payable to us each year on the anniversary of the date the licence was first granted.


Eligibility criteria

Clubs must be qualifying clubs. A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy. These are:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least 2 days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted

  • that club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least 2 days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club

  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith

  • that the club has at least 25 members

  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club.

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members

  • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club

  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club.

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Miners' welfare institutes

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. A relevant institute is one that is managed by a committee or board that consists of at least two thirds of people appointed or elevated by one or more licensed operators under the Coal Industry Act 1994 and by one or more organisations who represent coal mine employees.

The institute can be managed by the committee or board where the board cannot be made up as detailed above but is made up of at least two thirds of members who were employed or are employed in or around coal mines and also by people who were appointed by the Coal Industry Welfare Organisation or by a body who had similar functions under the Miners' Welfare Act 1952.

In any case the premises of the institute must be held on a trust as required under the Recreational Charities Act 1958.


Regulation summary

Read the full Licensing Act.



If you'd prefer, you can contact us for an application pack, or download and print an application form and other documents below and send them to us through the post or bring them to our reception (see contact us for our address).

Payment can be made by cheque (made payable to Sheffield City Council) through the post and cash and cheques are accepted if you bring it to our reception.

For details of our postal address, how to find our reception and reception opening times please contact us.


Application process

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

If the club is within the Sheffield boundary, you need to make an application to us.

Download applications below, they must be accompanied by the required fee (above).

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

  • the activities of the club

  • the times the activities are to take place

  • other opening times

  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both

  • the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives

  • any other information that is required.

The application form must be signed on behalf of the club. A club’s agent (for example a solicitor) may sign the form on their behalf provided that they have actual authority to do so.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule.

Advertise your application

You are required to advertise your application, download “Guidance for Advertising your Application” below.

You must also to display a notice on the premises that is to be licensed. Download the notice template below.

Applicants must provide a copy of the application to a number of ‘responsible authorities’ (download the list below). If you are applying online, we will circulate your application to the responsible authorities.

Print application forms




Timescales and how we will notify you

On the day after an application is received, a 28 day consultation period begins allowing comments or 'representations' to be made about the application by the responsible authorities and any local residents or ‘interested parties’. During this time, the responsible authorities will work with you to ensure your proposals are in line with the four licensing objectives.

If no comments are received during this period the application will be deemed granted after the last date for representations and your licence will be issued and sent to you.

If relevant representations are received within the 28 day consultation period a public hearing must be held to determine your application. You will be notified in writing telling you when the hearing will be, who has made a representation and what that representation is.

The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if the Licensing Authority considers it is in the public interest to do so.



Please contact us.

Any applicant, responsible authority or person making representation is able to appeal our decision to a Magistrate’s Court within 21 days of the notice of decision.


Complaints and comments

If you are experiencing problems with licensed premises please read our information for residents or contact us for advice.


European Economic Area

We are a part of the European network for delivering information relating to doing business in the European Economic Area.

For full information on the EU Services Directive and Points of Single Contact for other member states, from the European Commission.

  • Modified: Oct 20, 2014 11:47:14 AM