If you stop occupying your business property you will need to pay the amounts you have a duty to pay by law, including the amount you have put off paying. We will send you a revised bill, letting you know how much you should pay.
- Cap the Retail Price Index increase in business rates at 2% for 1 year from the 1st of April 2014.
- Business discount of £1,000 for retail and food premises with a rateable value below £50,000 for 2 years up to the state aid limits from the 1st of April 2014.
- 50% business rates relief for 18 months up to state aid limits for businesses that move into retail premises that have been empty for a year or more. Businesses which move into empty premises between April 2014 and March 2016 will be eligible for the relief.
- Extend the doubling of Small Business Rate Relief for a further year from 1st of April 2014.
- Relax the Small Business Rate Relief rules to allow businesses in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief taking on an additional property to retain Small Business Rate Relief on the first property for one year with effect from the 1st of April 2014.
- Allow businesses to pay rates over 12 months rather than 10 months with effect from the 1st of April 2014.
Most empty premises with a rateable value greater than £2,599 pay a full empty rate charge. Find more information about relief entitlement and exemptions.
We have recently been made aware that a company of agents are contacting ratepayers in our area and advising them that they can gain reductions in their rates.
While this may be true, there is no cost to putting in an appeal and we ask that you contact us prior to signing any agreement with the firm so that we can give you details of how to make an appeal against the Rateable Value of your property yourself.
If you have signed any agreement, please do ensure you read it in full and gain legal advice if you deem it necessary. The contract may not only affect yourself, but future occupiers of the premises.
If you would like any further information, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss any details with you - 0114 273 4318.